Helo a chroeso i
Blog Rhuthun/Ruthin Blog

cyhoeddwyd gan Non Liquet, cydweithwyr a’u tîm

The Long Tunnel

The first day of working from home. I now have my office laptop, office monitor, office keyboard and office mouse alongside my own personal set-up. Oh, and I have my office chair. It's less comfortable but more adaptable. I seem to be staring down the very long dark tunnel of months and months of home working, with minimal contact. Not particularly good. In fact, it feels crushing. Though necessary.

County Hall car park at lunchtime

But I did get out today. The odd thing was that although Ysgol Brynhyfryd has shut, there were absolutely no children around. Not one. Were they all indoors doing lessons online? Or playing on their games consoles? You'd think some would be feral and on the streets. This will no doubt change, as they get bored and parents get fed up with them. Those who felt that Brynhyfryd had jumped the gun now know that our school was actually in the vanguard. All schools will close at least on Friday.

Actually, there were few of anyone on the streets—again. Plenty of cars taking people somewhere but not to Rhuthun/Ruthin, other perhaps than to the supermarkets. There were queues for Tesco even at 7.30a.m., half an hour before opening. Bread was sold out well before lunchtime other than three small loaves in the Co-op. I took one to the cash out only to find I'd forgotten my money and card.

County Hall car park was busier than expected but still more than half empty. It will get worse as more and more County Hall staff work from home. This will impact the town greatly. But, again, it's necessary.

Also at lunchtime, Chatwin's had eight café patrons, Costa five and Bar Llaeth three. The Coffee Cabin was closed. The two sat at a table in W & G Jones's café were slightly forlorn-looking staff. Early evening and I spotted one head at Wetherspoon's window facing the Square, a handful in the Boar's, three in the Star and a similar number in the Feathers. How long before these close for the duration?


Previous Post Next Post