Helo a chroeso i
Blog Rhuthun/Ruthin Blog

cyhoeddwyd gan Non Liquet, cydweithwyr a’u tîm

Long Live Free Speech

Rarely have posts caused so much comment or controversy. Not since this one, perhaps. I think Gina’s not the only one who needs a gin. I certainly do! Mind if I jump in one final time on this? I know I don’t normally.

Monday’s commenters on further education in Rhuthun/Ruthin make fair points. One suggests that the Blog writer is a teacher at Ysgol Brynhyfryd. Thank you for the compliment. Yet, Songsmith was nearer the mark when he said,
“I have also on many occasions thought that Non was a teacher, but some items recently have shown this to be unlikely.”
I reckon I’d make a good teacher and it would be nice to finish at 3.35 and have those long holidays but sorry to disappoint. I am not a teacher at Ysgol Brynhyfryd. Neither am I or have I ever been a teacher anywhere else. My only connection with the school system was that I was once a *pupil*.

My sixth form posts were based on two things. First, the facts as I researched them. Thank heavens for the internet. It took several hours of research on Friday & Saturday, time probably none-too-well spent it seems, as I was trying (unsuccessfully by all accounts) to navigate a path between opposing factions following comments on and from Thursday.

Secondly, like everything else on the Rhuthun/Ruthin Blog, it’s also a product of keeping my eyes and ears open. (Like seeing two police officers walking around Rhuthun/Ruthin on a Monday evening, yesterday. Quite unusual). And I do ask questions when I meet people.
“It seems that Non L is creating propaganda for the school because he works there and wishes to protect the status quo.”
I think it’s in all our interests to ensure our local school succeeds. This doesn’t mean that we should simply ignore difficult areas.

And, yesterday, I agreed with those commenters who previously stated that Brynhyfryd is weakest on vocational further education subjects, for that is what the evidence supports. I wasn’t therefore blindly defending the school. The Estyn report, as I said on Monday’s offering, stated this potential weakness at Brynhyfryd.

This shouldn’t totally cloud the overall view of the school. The *evidence* seems to suggest that Brynhyfryd is a “good” school (Estyn's phrase) and for the sixth form, it is “excellent” grade 1 (Estyn’s conclusion).
“Brynhyfryd turned its back on Joe Soap Everyman; and it’s high time that it catered for the silent majority, as well as for the influential academic minority.”
Ah, but it was ever thus. Even in the days when Brynhyfryd didn’t have quite the good standing it now has, when Rhuthun was a very different town, those who were academically minded opted for the Denbighshire Technical College or Llandrillo Technical College, as they were known in the 60s and 70s.
“His latest post says that the 2009 Estyn report says that the numbers in the sixth form in Brynhyfryd have been steadily declining since 1982. That is what correspondents have been in effect saying (that the outflow to Yale and Llandrillo is significant).”
This reinforces my point about my objectivity. Actually, I didn’t mention 1982. That’s the anonymous commenter’s view. The outflow may or may not be “significant”. I suspect the *increase* in numbers choosing elsewhere is small and corresponds to the increased provision and investment at Yale and Llandrillo (and probably Deeside, too).
“Non L has deliberately avoided discussing A level grades at Brynhyfryd for the same subjects, compared with those at Yale/Llandrillo.”
I can do so (assuming the information is available online) but I won’t. I don’t think I ever dare mention “education” again.
“Non L is not impartial. He has an axe to grind and a job to protect.”
Long may free speech and expression remain on this and all other subjects. Hearty thanks to all who’ve contributed to the debate, one of the best we’ve had here. I’m going to lie own, now. Chin chin, down the hatch.

But not before I say that Ysgol Brynhyfryd is considerably better than when I was much younger. Who knows how my life would’ve been different had I received today's Brynhyfryd education.

18 Comments

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post