Helo a chroeso i
Blog Rhuthun/Ruthin Blog

cyhoeddwyd gan Non Liquet, cydweithwyr a’u tîm

Your Advice Needed

I need a new computer. I don't want a new computer as I’m perfectly happy with the one I have. It may be old but it works. Till yesterday morning, when an intermittent problem became more permanent. Plus, VAT is increasing to 20 per cent, so now might seem a good time to invest. I have a fortnight to order unless my PC gives up altogether between now and then. What to do.

The first thing was to try to find out some information, so yesterday I hunted down a computer magazine in town for some suggestions. That provided somewhat more difficult than I expected and, frankly, I was surprised. I mean, a consumer computer magazine isn't like Tea Importers Weekly or the Journal of Sub-prime Investments for Profit.

Here's what I discovered. In spite of an increased range, Castle Bell newsagent stocks no computer magazines at all. Bridge Services always used to but since the latest management change no longer does. Co-op had Computer Active but that doesn't run to serious stuff. So, it was over to Tesco yesterday morning. There was a choice of two. I went for one with seemingly the most reviews.

Next problem. I only recognised one of the companies under review and a friend of mine had a bad experience with one of theirs. Should I trust my savings to someone I hadn't heard of or to someone who seemed slow at remedying problems?

Or should I head towards local CITS, Boyns, or Tengo? Do they sell computers or just maintain them? Do they offer good value compared to mail order or PC World? Does anyone know?

And then there's the Apple Mac or iMac or Macbook, which are now selling 10 per cent of computers in the USA. Should this be an option? Virus free, trouble free and rather good looking but, man, they are expensive, almost double the price of a comparable Windows machine.

So, that's my dilemma. What do you think? What should I do?

16 Comments

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post